I struggled to get APRS working with my Kenwood TH-D7A/G. The following things were done. I haven’t confirmed all of them were necessary…
On the GPS… (Magellan Meridian GPS)
- Set speed to 4800Bps from GPS to radio.
On the Radio…
- Made sure that GPS was sending information to the radio by using the POS button
- Made sure that the radio was set for waypoints to be “….MGN” to work with the Magellan Meridian GPS I am borrowing.
- Set Band A freqency to 144.390
- Set Band A as the data band
- Set Band A offset to “0.00” (default was .600)
- Set CTCSS tone to ON for Band A (This is to squelch all the “modem” noise.)
- Set My Callsign
- Set My Icon
- Set Data TX as AUTO
- Set TX Interval to 2min
- Set POS LIMIT to 150mi (help eliminate information I don’t care about)
- *IMPORTANT* Set Packet Path
- Pressed TNC so that ONLY TNC appeared (No “packet”).
- Last but not least… pressed the “BCON” button.